The KPD affords young people between the ages of 17 and 21 the opportunity to learn more about a career in law enforcement. Cadets work 40 hours per week performing non-law enforcement duties. Those that attend college may be eligible for a reduced workweek. In some cases, the Cadets will work only 30 hours per week, but will still be paid for 40 hours. Additionally, Cadets are eligible for up to $3000 for college expenses.
At age 21, the cadet is eligible to attend the KPD’s recruit academy to advance to the position of police officer. The Cadet Program is an excellent way for a young person to start a career at the Knoxville Police Department.
High School seniors, who are at least 17 years old, can apply and test. If selected, you may be able to begin employment as a cadet, when you graduate and turn 18. Start planning for the future now by filling out a cadet application.
Cadet Application info is available on the City's Job Openings page. You must apply online for any City job position.
If you have any questions, please contact a Recruiter at 865-215-7111 or send an email to PoliceRecruiter@knoxvilletn.gov.
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 20 to apply.
- Legal citizen of the United States
- Valid driver’s license
- High school graduate or equivalent
- No felony convictions
The selection process consists of the following:
- Application Submitted
- Civil Service Written Exam and Physical Performance Test
- Interview and tentative selection
- Background Investigation, Psychological, Medical Evaluation, and Drug Test
- Cadet Academy
- 10 annual leave days per year
- 12 days per year (accumulative)
- Uniform Allowance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance