Streetlight Design and Installation

Engineering Director

James R. Hagerman, P.E.
(865) 215-2027

400 Main St., Suite 480
P.O. Box 1631
Knoxville, TN 37901

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
  • Share via Email

City of Knoxville

Engineering Department, Aaron Kline - 865-215-2152 

Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB)
Streetlight Design, Linda Allen - 865-558-2673

Lenoir City Utilities Board (LCUB)
Streetlights, Mitch Ledbetter - 865-986-6591

REPORT DAMAGED - Report streetlight does not work or is damaged
Knoxville Utilities Board, Call 865-524-2911 or send email to
Lenoir City Utilities Board, Call 865-986-6591

DESIGN HELP - Selecting streetlight design for a new street
Aaron Kline,, City of Knoxville, 865-215-2152
Linda Allen, Knoxville Utilities Board, 865-558-2673

REQUEST NEW LIGHT- Submit reguest for a new streetlight on an existing street
Aaron Kline,, City of Knoxville, 865-215-2152

StreetlightStreetlights help to ensure safe movement of traffic for vehicles and pedestrians, as well as deter criminal activity. Lighting should be based on field conditions relating to roadway classifications and volumes in order to justify the type of streetlights selected. The City of Knoxville has approximately 30,000 streetlights in the city system. High-pressure sodium lights are being used on city streets, since they offer twice as much light per energy used when compared to mercury vapor lighting.

The City of Knoxville Engineering Department pays the local utility company (KUB or LCUB) for maintenanance, repair and electricity for the streetlights on public streets. For wood-pole installations, typical spacing is approximately 200 feet and a typical design height is 30 to 40. Actual spacing of streetlights can vary widely, depending on width of street, the type of streetlight selected, and number of street intersections and curves.

A developer may want to install streetlights with underground electrical lines on subdivision streets that are part of the City of Knoxville street system. If so, the developer is required to select one of several approved designs for use within the City of Knoxville. As part of the site development drawings, the developer must select an approved fixture/pole design and clearly designate this on the drawings by use of details and notes. After a site development permit is granted, KUB or LCUB then prepares electrical detail drawings to show the installation details, such as placement and control points. The following picture shows a typical fiberglass pole, one of the approved designs for subdivisions.

The City of Knoxville does not provide streetlights at locations to illuminate private property (parking lots, houses, driveways, private streets). Contact your local utility (KUB or LCUB) for more information on installing a streetlight on private property.

To report a streetlight that is out contact the appropriate local utility company:

KUB at 865-524-2911 or email
LCUB at 865-986-6591