Public Service Coordinator
Currently 22,500 City residents are participating in the city's household recycling program that began October 1, 2011.
We are expanding our recycling program!
Call 311 to Request a Recycling Cart Now, or
click here to SIGN UP TODAY for curbside recycling!
The program features:
Recyclable items that can be included in the cart:
- No sorting - all recyclables loose in the cart together
- Due to recycling markets glass is better recycled by separating by color and taken to drop off centers rather than placed in your curbside cart. Starting January 1st 2017 glass will no longer be accepted in curbside single-stream recycling.
- Recycling cart is provided by the City
- Pick-up at the curb - simply roll the cart to the curb every other week
- No additional cost - City residents with garbage pick-up will have no additional fees for the recycling service
- Good for our East Tennessee environment by helping reduce the volume of materials going into landfills!
- Plastics: plastic bottles and lids, plastic cups, plastic jugs, milk jugs, detergent containers,
all plastic containers #1-7 (#6 Styrofoam is not accepted)
- Metals: aluminum cans, steel cans, tin cans
- Paper: newspaper, magazines, junk mail, sticky notes, envelopes, notebooks, office paper with or without staples and tape, cereal boxes, cardboard, shredded paper (placed in a paper bag to prevent scattered pieces)
- Glass: glass bottles, glass jars (brown, clear, green only)
- Due to recycling markets glass is better recycled by separating by color and taken to drop-off centers rather than placed in your curbside cart. Starting January 1st 2017 glass will no longer be accepted in curbside single-stream recycling.
Steps on how to recycle with the cart:
- Do not include:
- plastic bags/plastic film, food waste, styrofoam, chip bags/candy wrappers, plastic utensils, straws, aluminum foil and baking pans, batteries, ceramics, dishes, electronics, hazardous waste, plastic toys, Christmas lights, water hoses, light bulbs, medical waste, mirrors, trash, window glass, or yard waste.
Rinse all recyclable containers
Flatten all recyclable boxes
Place recyclables into cart
Take cart to curb on collection day
Who can participate?
If you still have questions about the program, please contact 311 at 865-215-4311.
City Trash and Recycling Collection on Holidays
- Households in the City limits of Knoxville that receive weekly garbage collection are eligible for the program. Apartments of more than four units are not eligible for this program but may continue to use the drop centers for their recycling needs.
- Residents in the Central Business Improvement District (CBID) will have single stream location options and do not need to sign up for the program. Details will be communicated by the City and the CBID.
- The City will maintain key Drop Center Recycling locations to serve multi-family residents, apartments and small businesses.
Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are the only 2 holidays that Waste Connections does not make collections on. If your collection day falls on either of these 2 holidays then your collection will resume the following day. Each day after, for that week, collections will be one day behind schedule. For example, if the holiday falls on Monday the collection for Monday will take place on Tuesday. Tuesday's materials will be picked up on Wednesday and so on through Saturday.