The City offers a variety of other benefits to its employees.
- Permanent full-time employees hired after Dec. 31, 1984, accrue annual vacation leave as follows: from 0 to 3 years = 10 days, from 3 to 7 years = 15 days, from 7 to 12 years = 20 days, more than 12 years = 24 days.
- The City allows you to sell up to 50% of the annual leave you accrue that year. This can be used to help pay for your benefits, or it can simply increase your salary.
- In case of a death in a permanent employee's immediate family, the employee shall be given time off with pay to attend the funeral.
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP) -
The City provides an EAP to all benefits-eligible employees and their dependents. Beginning January 1st, this will be provided by a new vendor, Deer Oaks. The EAP provides up to 10 counseling sessions per issue per year for normal life issues. To make an appointment please call 1-888-993-7650. For more information please visit www.deeroakseap.com
EMPLOYEE BUS PASS PROGRAM
- This pilot program was developed by the City to enhance its benefits package, reduce City greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce parking congestion. All benefits-eligible employees are able to receive one (1) free 20-ride bus pass each month.
FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE
- The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12-month period for specified family and medical reasons, or for any "qualifying exigency" arising out of the fact that a covered military member is on active duty, or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty, in support of a contingency operation.
- Paid holidays include New Year's Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Veteran's Day is observed day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
LONG TERM DISABILITY PLAN
- Short-term absences can be covered through the use of sick days, annual pay, and the Sick Leave Bank. However, the City provides long-term disability coverage for all benefit-eligible employees. Employees eligible for coverage will have coverage on the first day of the month after they have completed sixty (60) days of permanent, full-time employment.
- All members of the uniformed and non uniformed bodies who are permanent full-time employees shall be entitled to monthly longevity payments beginning after the completion of four years of continuous service.
- Employees of the City of Knoxville who are members of any military reserve organization are entitled a maximum of fifteen (15) working days annually of paid military leave when engaged in the performance of duty or training in the Military Reserve.
- Employees may be eligible for up to 16 weeks of parental leave. An employee on parental leave must use all applicable accrued annual and sick leave credits to minimize the length of unpaid leave. When applicable annual leave and sick leave are exhausted, the employee is eligible for unpaid leave for the remainder of the 16 weeks.
- The City has a written agreement with the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development for the City to self-enforce safety regulations. That document also functions as an Executive Order implementing the City's safety program. Please call Risk Management at 865-215-3338 for more information.
- City employees, other than regular part time and temporary employees, earn sick leave with pay on the basis of one (1) day per month (12 days per year). Sick leave begins to accrue at the end of the first pay period. Sick leave may be utilized for the employee's own illness or for medical and dental appointments.
SICK LEAVE BANK
- Occasionally City employees contract a catastrophic illness or injury and exhaust their leave balances. The Sick Leave Bank is established to provide an optional benefit for employees who wish to join in order to accommodate such disabling circumstances.
- Tuition reimbursement for employees is a plan which offers financial assistance to an employee who takes college-level courses directly related to his/her work or to a position the employee might conceivably be considered for in the future and which is likely to increase his/her value to the City.
- The City contracts with Summit Medical Group to provide on-site medical services, including treatment of work related injuries at the Health, Education and Wellness Center (The Center) as well as on-site physical therapy. Case management, ergonomics and vocational rehabilitation are also provided on-site. Please call Risk Management at 865-215-3338 for more information.
YMCA MEMBERSHIP DISCOUNT
- City employees receive 50% off monthly fee at Knoxville YMCA locations.